Across the globe, men tend to have a shorter lifespan than women and a much higher likelihood of dying prematurely. This is due in large part to lifestyle choices and risk-taking behavior, which includes a higher chance of using and becoming addicted to alcohol and drugs. Men can improve longevity by making lifestyle changes and getting help from addiction treatment therapy programs if self-medicating becomes the method of coping with stress.
The comprehensive outpatient addiction treatment program at BrightView considers men’s health and wellness needs when it comes to managing addiction and mental health conditions. Stress, your environment, and your relationships can all play a part in addiction, so we include therapy and support as part of our recovery programs. For the best men’s treatment program near Columbus, Ohio for addiction and mental health, call us today at 888.501.9865.
Why Is There a Gap in Men’s Mental Health Treatment?
The reason behind why so many men do not receive the health and wellness treatment they need has a lot to do with lifestyle factors:
- Men are more likely to skip routine medical appointments.
- Men tend to pay less attention to the symptoms of chronic illnesses.
- Men tend to be less concerned with excess weight, especially as they age.
- Men are less likely to go to the doctor when they have symptoms of a medical or mental health condition.
Taking extra precautions to care for one’s health and changing unhealthy habits can help bridge the gap between men’s and women’s lifespans.
Top Five Ways to Support Men’s Health and Wellness
Just because men tend to have shorter lifespans than women does not mean that all hope is lost. You can live a long, healthy, and happy life by making some lifestyle changes. Here are five of the best things you can do for your health and wellness:
- Keep up with routine medical appointments like annual physical exams and dental cleanings. This is one of the best ways to detect a problem early on before it develops further.
- Find healthy ways to manage stress. This can include mindfulness techniques, exercising, cultivating a hobby, or talking with a therapist. The key is to find ways to relieve stress before it builds up and leads to further medical and mental health issues. Alcohol and drug addiction often stem from stress or mental health conditions, so you may want to consider enrolling in an addiction treatment therapy program if applicable.
- Follow a diet appropriate for your needs. Certain nutrients are especially beneficial for your mental well-being, such as omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, magnesium, and vitamin D3. As you age, you should incorporate more anti-inflammatory and circulation-boosting foods into your diet like cherries, berries, whole grains, dark chocolate, leafy green vegetables, ginger, turmeric, bananas, and eggs.
- Stay connected with others. Those who isolate themselves tend to struggle more with medical and mental health issues. Whether by phone, video call, text, or in person, make it a point to stay in touch with those you care about.
- Stay active. Physical activity is loaded with health benefits such as weight management, stress relief, improved circulation, mobility maintenance, and more restful sleep.
BrightView: Dedicated to Men’s Mental Health Treatment
Caring for your health and wellness is the best way to increase your enjoyment in life. Addiction is about more than the substance — it also involves stress, relationships, and your work and living environment. BrightView is here to help you recover from drug and alcohol addiction by addressing all of these aspects and underlying mental health conditions. By looking at the big picture, we provide the most well-rounded men’s treatment program Ohio offers. Call us today at 888.501.9865 to support your health and wellness with one of our addiction treatment therapy programs.