May is Mental Health Month, which is a great time to take a look at how you and your loved ones are doing mentally and emotionally. We often get so wrapped up in our obligations to work, family, and relationships, that we may overlook our mental health needs. Millions of Americans suffer needlessly from untreated mental health conditions, so Mental Health Month was created as a way of celebrating mental health awareness to encourage people to get the help they need. Our mental health treatment programs at BrightView can help you manage the stress that can be a part of our modern lifestyles. Our drug addiction treatment centers in Ohio, Kentucky, and Delaware can also help you recover and regain your mental well-being when mental health issues have led you down the wrong path. Call us at 888.501.9865 to find out how we can help you on your path to mental wellness.
How Do You Know When to Seek Mental Health Treatment?
We all deal with stress in different ways. Some people seek out therapy or medication from their doctor, while others try to go it alone and may end up self-medicating with drugs or alcohol to help them cope with powerful emotions. The purpose of Mental Health Awareness Month is to take notice of how you or your loved ones are handling the stress in your lives. Is it constructive or destructive? Here are some signs that it is time to consider mental health treatment:
- Chronic insomnia or oversleeping
- Struggling to keep up with everyday responsibilities
- Drastic mood changes or feeling sad most of the time
- Drastic changes in appetite
- Extreme weight loss or weight gain paired with an unhealthy relationship with food
- Excessive absenteeism from work or inability to hold down a job
- Drugs or alcohol are being used to self-medicate
- Thoughts of self-harm or harming others
Many programs can provide mental health care, including counseling and therapy, medication assisted treatment, and drug addiction treatment. With all of the support available, you should reach out for help as soon as you realize that your mental health is suffering.
How Can You Support Your Mental Health?
Use Mental Health Month as a reminder of the importance of caring for your mental wellness and getting help as needed. Your mental health is just as important as your physical well-being. To stay in good physical condition, you would likely eat a healthy diet and follow a regular exercise plan. There are also things you can incorporate into your daily routine to help promote good mental health:
- Eating a healthy diet can have more of an impact on your mental well-being than you may think. Try to fill your plate with fresh, whole foods as much as possible.
- Exercising regularly can help you relieve stress and lift your mood. If you can’t get to the gym, a 20 minute walk outside can do wonders for your mood, especially in the spring time.
- Relaxation techniques such as meditation and breathing exercises can help you feel more centered and focused, which is great for soothing anxiety. Try a 15 minute free Yoga video on YouTube.
- Make time for quality sleep. Do something relaxing in the evening to help you wind down. Put down your phone and pick up a book or listen to an audio book while you lay in bed.
These are just a few self-care suggestions for your mental well-being. There are many different ways you can support your mental health. You can check with your local mental health providers or visit the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Health) website for more ideas.
Find Mental Health Support at BrightView
At BrightView, we are supporting mental health awareness in Ohio, Kentucky, or Delaware by providing various treatment programs at different locations throughout the state to help people get through their mental health struggles. Whether you need mental health services, a MAT clinic for drug addiction treatment, or both, call us today at 888.501.9865 to find out how we can help you heal and recover to move on to live your best life.