Coping with stress by self-medicating with drugs or alcohol rather than seeking professional help can be detrimental to male health, quality of life, and longevity. By celebrating Men’s Health Week, we hope to bring attention to men’s health issues and increase healthier coping strategies like seeking help from addiction treatment therapy programs as needed.
At BrightView, we understand that men may be more hesitant to accept help when it comes to their medical and mental health. We provide a men’s addiction treatment program that is non-judgmental and accepting, so you can feel comfortable when you reach out to us for recovery assistance. Call us today at 1-833-510-HELP to learn more about how we support men’s health and wellness with our mental health and outpatient addiction treatment programs.
Why Promote Men’s Health and Wellness?
International Men’s Health Week is being observed June 14-20, 2021. It is always celebrated during the week ending on Father’s Day. It was created to bring awareness to male health issues and to help shape health policies that affect boys and men. There is a focus on providing access to care for males who go without the healthcare services they truly need. This includes receiving help from men’s drug addiction treatment programs regardless of economic background.
It’s important to bring awareness to men’s health and wellness because of a number of issues that affect men differently than women:
- The rates of tobacco and alcohol use are higher in men
- Men are more likely to suffer from addiction.
- Higher rates of addiction-related death.
- Men tend to become more antisocial when suffering from addiction.
- Men have a higher risk of suicide.
As you can see, some changes need to be made to address men’s health issues and encourage greater accessibility and less stigma when it comes to getting help.
How You Can Observe Men’s Health Week
Anyone can celebrate Men’s Health Week, male or not. Women can use this time to encourage the men in their lives to pay more attention to their health and well-being. Here are some ideas for observing Men’s Health Week:
- Attend or arrange a men’s health fair or screening event. These events are a great way to provide convenient screenings that focus on men’s health issues.
- Plan an outing with friends, family, or coworkers that revolves around healthy physical activity. You can set up a softball game, go for a walk, or even spend a day at the beach or an amusement park. All of that walking and swimming in the fresh air and sunshine is excellent for men’s health.
- Wear a blue prostate cancer awareness wristband or ribbon. You can find these on the Men’s Health Network website.
- Schedule an annual physical exam with your doctor. You could start a new family tradition and go for your annual exams together. Make a day of it and get lunch afterward, then spend some time at a park or other enjoyable setting.
- Learn how to conduct a testicular self-exam. Early detection is always best.
Encourage the men in your life to practice better self-care and to feel comfortable asking for help when they are struggling.
BrightView: Caring for Men’s Health with a Comprehensive Men’s Treatment Program
While men are less likely to seek help for their medical and mental health needs, we want to change that at BrightView. Part of caring for your health and wellness is reaching out to others when you are struggling to cope with the stress in your life. Our men’s addiction treatment programs near Dayton can help you recover from your addiction while also treating underlying mental health conditions. When you enroll in our men’s treatment program, you can feel confident that you will be treated with the respect and care you deserve. Call us today at 1-833-510-HELP to get started with recovery, so you can move on to enjoy a long, happy life with those you love.