Go Out, Have Fun & Enjoy Akron in a Sober-Friendly Environment
There is plenty of fun to be had in recovery. Some of these activities can be enjoyed for free, but make sure to look for discounts and coupons to save money for those that aren’t free.
Here is a list of sober-friendly things to do in Akron. Click on the links below for more details and let us know if there is an alcohol-free option we should add to the list.
- The Great Escape Room: Gather some friends or family members and work together to find a way out of this fun, interactive escape room.
Arts & Music
- Akron Civic Theatre: Catch a variety of different performances at the theatre including ballets, musicals, plays, concerts, comedy, and more.
- Akron Art Museum: Dedicated to enriching lives with regional, national, and international contemporary and modern art created since 1850.
- Akron Symphony Orchestra: Enriches audiences, musicians, and the community through symphonic music and meaningful, collaborative, and educational programming.
- Concerts in the Park: Parks across Akron host concerts, with free admission, all summer long from 7pm – 9pm. These parks include Reservoir Park, Hardesty Park, Shadyside Park, Firestone Park, Patterson Park, Lawton Street, Joy Park, Summit Lake, Balch Street, Ellet, and Forest Lodge Park.
- Cummings Center for the History of Psychology: Located at the University of Akron, this museum invites visitors to explore the history of psychological studies. Exhibits dive into the science behind memory, intelligence, and personality.
- Hower House Museum: Located at the University of Akron, the Hower House Museum is a 28-room mansion built in 1871 that housed John Henry Hower, the “Father of Akron Industry” and his wife Susan Younger Hower.
- Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens: This historic estate is the birthplace of Alcoholics Anonymous and includes a 64,500 square foot Manor House, historic gardens and grounds.
- Akron Fossils and Science Center: This unique museum offers hands-on activities designed to explore science from the past, present, and future. Explore fossils, dinosaur skeletons, and more.
- Akron Zoo: Representing over 100 species, the Akron zoo is home to over 1000 animals. It also has beautiful gardens and community events year-round.
- Cascade Valley Metro Park: The Cascade Valley Park consists of the Chuckery Trail, Overlook Trail, Oxbow Trail, Schumacher Trail, Valley Link Trail, and Highbridge Trail. Explore beautiful landscapes of forests and creeks with wildlife all around you.
- F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm: F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm consists of three hiking trails of varying difficulty, gardens, grounds, pavilions and bird watching.
- Nimisila Reservoir: The Nimisila Reservoir is a great place for fishing, boating, kayaking, canoeing, and enjoying nature.
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park: There are several different hiking trails visitors can take to see beautiful wetlands, forests, and over 100 waterfalls. Popular hiking trails include the Ohio & Erie Canal Townpath Trail, Brandywine Falls, and many more.
- **Diamond Deli: This popular local deli offers the finest meats and sandwiches. They don’t have mocktails or NA beer, but they do have alcohol-free drink options such as tea.
- The Front Porch Café: Unique community café that welcomes the homeless, individuals recently released from prison, and professionals alike. They employ men and women in addiction recovery and/or who have come out of incarceration and serve quality food to Akron residents.
- The Blue Door Café: This cozy café has a wide variety of tasty baked goods and brunch and dinner entrees to choose. Stop in and grab food to go or sit down and relax with some delicious food.
- **The Rail: The Rail serves all-American food items, such as burgers and fries, while also having alcohol-free drink options including mocktails and alcohol-free beer.
- **Gasoline Alley: This 1950s-diner-themed restaurant has cozy all-American food options from burgers, pizza, chicken sandwiches, and more.
BrightView wants to help connect people in recovery and help them enjoy life without drugs and alcohol. Contact us at 833.510.HELP for more information.