One of the most challenging parts of recovering from alcohol use disorder is resisting cravings. When your body becomes dependent on a substance, whether it is alcohol, drugs, caffeine, or even sugar, it will produce powerful cravings to lure you into consuming the substance regularly. However, there are medications that can help to reduce alcohol cravings, and one of them is Vivitrol.
Vivitrol is an injectable medication that can be used to treat alcohol and opioid dependence. It can help to reduce cravings for these substances by blocking the receptors in the brain that are associated with them. In clinical trials, Vivitrol has been shown to be effective at reducing alcohol cravings, and it can also help to prevent relapse after treatment.
At BrightView, we will do everything in our power to help you succeed with your recovery goals. We provide Vivitrol therapy for alcohol addiction so you can find it easier to stay on your path to sobriety. The use of this helpful medication, along with our various therapies, can help you end your alcohol use disorder for good. Call us today at 888.501.9865 to learn more about Vivitrol and alcohol cravings.
What Is Vivitrol?
Vivitrol is a medication made up of naltrexone, an opioid antagonist. It can be taken as a pill or injected, and it works by binding to opioid receptors in the brain to prevent them from being activated by drugs or alcohol. This can help to reduce cravings for these substances and make it easier for people to abstain from using them.
Often, Vivitrol is used as part of a treatment plan for alcohol or opioid dependence. It can be combined with therapy and other support measures to give people the best chance of success in their recovery.
The Relationship Between Vivitrol and Alcohol Cravings
So how does a Vivitrol therapy program work to treat alcohol use disorder? Patients will:
- Commit to ending alcohol use
- Receive a once-monthly injection of Vivitrol to reduce cravings
- Undergo various behavioral and holistic therapies to address the root causes of alcohol use
- Devise a relapse prevention plan to avoid or eliminate triggers
Developing a relapse prevention plan is essential for anyone in recovery, as it can help you to identify and avoid triggers that can lead to a relapse. At BrightView, we can provide you with the tools and resources you need to create a comprehensive plan.
What to Know About Using Vivitrol Therapy for Alcohol Addiction
When you are trying to quit drinking, knowing a medication that can reduce your cravings for alcohol can instill hope. It is important to know the pros and cons of using Vivitrol to support your recovery so that you can maintain realistic expectations. Some of the most important things to know about Vivitrol therapy for alcohol addiction are:
- Vivitrol alone cannot keep you from using alcohol. There are no negative side effects when drinking alcohol while taking Vivitrol. The medication serves to reduce the positive effects gained from consuming alcohol, making drinking less appealing. This is just one part of a larger recovery program, so it is essential that you incorporate therapy into your treatment plan.
- Reduced alcohol cravings are not a guarantee of sobriety. Less incentive to drink alcohol can help reduce consumption, but that person usually has to be committed to ending their alcohol use disorder. Even though Vivitrol blocks activity in the brain’s pleasure centers, a person may still use alcohol out of habit.
- Vivitrol does not address the underlying reasons for alcohol use disorder; instead, this medication is a tool to support your efforts to stop drinking. However, deeper issues often lead a person to use alcohol, and therapy is usually the best treatment for these underlying contributors to substance use disorder.
Awareness of what Vivitrol can and cannot do for your recovery can help you formulate a plan that works for you. Understanding that medication is just one component of an effective recovery program can motivate you to participate in all aspects of your treatment. When you enroll in a Vivitrol treatment program, you will experience the most success with a combination of medication, support, and therapies. Your commitment to the program also plays a vital role.
Try Vivitrol Therapy for Alcohol Addiction at BrightView
Reach out to BrightView when you are ready to try a new approach to overcoming alcohol use disorder. Our Vivitrol therapy for alcohol addiction comprises medication, support, and various treatments to help you stay on track with your recovery goals.
In addition to medication assisted treatment, our centers around the country provide counseling and access to community resources that can help you get your life back on track. This approach can give you the best chance to achieve sobriety and maintain it over the long term.
Call us today at 888.501.9865 to learn how Vivitrol can support your efforts toward a sober lifestyle.